Quals
As usual it's been a long time since my last post.
Last semester was good. I got to TA for a frosh/sophmore class on sustainability and that was a lot of fun. Tons of work, but also pretty cool. I got to do fun things like have my students take water samples from the creek that runs through campus and lead discussions on a variety of topics.
Now, I guess it's back to the grind of research. I finally finished my masters in December. My brother, who is an astronomer, said that unlike him I cannot claim to be a master of the universe. Ha ha. I say that since mine is in environmental engineering I can claim to be a master of the earth, or if I stretch it a bit I could be a master of the world :-)
My next daunting task is to take my PhD qualifying exams. VERY SCARY! In my department quals are oral exams that are given by a panel of professor. I have four out of five professors picked out. For my last professor I have to decide between one who is known for asking students to use really crazy math to describe pollutant transport or the professor who tends to ask really off the wall/unpredictable physics questions (he likes to bring in random mechanical toys and ask you to explain the physics behind how they work). Ugh! Both professors are really nice, but the whole idea of quals is just really intimidating. So I'm getting ready for a hellish month of studying. It looks like my exam will likely be scheduled for late March. Hopefully it'll be before Jenny's wedding so that I can make it out to St. Louis.
Labels: Heather

3 Comments:
Heather!!! I have to take my Quals (Orals) this year too!!! I have to pick one more too!!! And I too am doing work on pollution (ecotox). Are you in the same field??? Wow! That's a lot of superlatives. . .
It'd be nice to talk bio with you.
:)
One more prof for my exam that is. . .
Hi Char. Good luck with your quals. I think I finished mine in record time (it only took about 30 minutes). I'm convinced that all my professors wanted to go home early that afternoon . . . but that's okay with me :-) I have strayed from my bio background . . . my research is now on air pollution and atmospheric chemistry. What are you researching?
Post a Comment
<< Home