Saturday, April 16, 2005

love is a temple, love the higher law

Going to a U2 concert is what going to church should be like: transcendent, emotional, epic, rocking.

So Joe and I went to the concert in Phoenix last night – we truly had the worst seats in the arena, but we could see and hear everything really well. (I was worried b/c I had a terrible time at the Jay-Z concert last summer when we got crap seats with the speakers pointed away from us and we couldn’t even recognize the songs.)

The stage was cleverly designed with dazzling curtains of lights and also the stage and catwalk rimmed with racing, urgent lights. It allowed for a greater sense of interaction b/c all the band members moved around, performing on both the stage and catwalk.

Bono ran around the egg-shaped catwalk like a madman, the crowd’s outstretched arms reaching towards him like tentacles of a sea anemone. He wore his iconic sunglasses (he is the only man in the world who can wear sunglasses indoors and look cool) and a leather jacket. He had to stop and mop his face with a towel a few times, sweaty from his exertions.

Bono gave a tribute to “scientists and medics; they’re the true rock stars” and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. He encouraged everyone to hold up their cell phones (lighters are so 20th century) in the dark arena to demonstrate the power of community in fighting poverty. Screens flashed the Declaration of Human Rights, getting wild applause. Then he launched into “One” and I was dying with happiness.

Not only is Bono the bona fide rock star AND socially conscious, but he’s also been married to the same woman for 23 years.

In other news…. I’m getting a letter to the editor printed in Vogue! I’m excited, I’ll let you all know which issue. And (yay) I passed the Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam. I am officially ethical.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home